Josh Blaylock's 125 gallon stream tank. Build and updates.

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#181 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

That's a super nice fish corner! I like all your fish art/books/memorabilia, and the tank looks great too. 

Nice man cave stuff there...great for that cavefish even if it can't see it ;)

Tank looks awesome.  Your skills at making your fish corner a great hang out are impressive.  When can you stop by to help me out?  LOL

Thanks guys.  I'm still not 100% happy with the aquarium.  I'd really like to tear it down and redo the water pump....but that's a lot of work.  If I had a few days at home without the kids getting into everything, I'd do it.  But, until then, it is what it is.

Since I had that little cutout in the basement I really wanted to combine most of the things I like; native fish, rocks, and antiques.  It's coming together fairly well, I still need a few things.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#182 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:05 AM

Not sure where to go from here......

I had 3 fish dead on Thursday, all three floating with bloated bellies, thought it was odd.  I did a water change yesterday, because I'm going out of town.  I used more than enough Prime.  Only other change is on Wednesday I bought a Cichlid pellet food that I fed them on Wed and Thurs.  Absolutely no chemicals of any kind have been used near this, period.  In disbelief.

Almost want to cry.

IMG_20150925_095413.jpg

IMG_20150925_095421.jpg

IMG_20150925_095437.jpg

IMG_20150925_095442.jpg

IMG_20150925_095448.jpg

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#183 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:16 AM

Wow, sorry Josh. That really sucks. Do you think it was the new food?

#184 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:03 AM

Wow, sorry Josh. That really sucks. Do you think it was the new food?

I seriously doubt it.  Even found my crayfish dead, out of the aquarium about 40-50 feet away.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#185 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

It looks like some have their mouths agape like I sometimes see in water with poor oxygenation.  Is there any chance that you added too much Prime?  If there is very little chlorine/chloramine/ammonia present in the water and the amount of prime added is excessive it can deplete the O2 in the water.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#186 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

It looks like some have their mouths agape like I sometimes see in water with poor oxygenation.  Is there any chance that you added too much Prime?  If there is very little chlorine/chloramine/ammonia present in the water and the amount of prime added is excessive it can deplete the O2 in the water.

I mean, that's possible.  I just spoke to the chemist at the water plant where I live.  He said they use chlorine and haven't changed anything in a long time.

I added 3 caps (150gal) to the water.  Now that you mention that, I had shut off my air pump and didn't turn it back on.  But really, that air pump can't be the only thing keeping them alive.  Re-filling the tank should have been enough to stir and oxygenate the water.  

Their mouths were open, but their gills were burnt/red and their bellies were huge and bloated. They looked similar to what my office aquarium looked like after Terminex killed those fish.

So far, 2 Topminnow, a few dace and 1 madtom have survived.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#187 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:53 PM

I had 3 fish dead on Thursday, all three floating with bloated bellies, thought it was odd.

Now that I think about it, I topped-off on Wednesday, adding about 2-3 gallons of water.  I'm convinced that something is in the water, that's the scary part.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#188 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:54 PM

Josh and Leo's fish formed local fish 151 and were committed until death. That is all I have got. Really must be a water thing. Wonder if any other local fish keepers have suffered losses. Then again I wonder how many near Richmond Ky. have ever changed their water?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#189 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

I called the LFS. They did a 50% system change on Tuesday using tap water, no issues. Lfs is roughly 3 miles away.

Due to the circumstances, I still feel strongly that it is the water, especially because of the topoff that killed 3 fish.

Sent from my Nexus 5

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#190 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

I am in the middle of re setting up my aquarium. I could never find out what it was. I hope you can figure out what happened and fix it. If you do have any survivors, get them into another aquarium. 

Sorry this is happening to you too. 

#191 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

I have identified 4 variables.

1. The water
2. Omega one pellets
3. Api shrimp pellets
4. SF Bay bloodworms

While the fish have had the food before, I purchased and opened new packages of these on Wednesday. First death occurred/found on Thursday. I did feed them the new food Wednesday and Thursday. I will be testing the food when I get home next week.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#192 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

Josh, so sorry to hear about your tank. 

Were your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels OK?  I would think the water changes would have helped with that.  Good luck with it and hope you can get that tank going again like before.  It was awesome.

Kevin Wilson

#193 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

Josh, so sorry to hear about your tank. 

Were your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels OK?  I would think the water changes would have helped with that.  Good luck with it and hope you can get that tank going again like before.  It was awesome.

I tested after the fact. Levels were crazy across the board. That's probably to be expected after 12+ hours of 40+ dead fish in it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#194 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

Wow, that sucks, Josh! Is it possible something you used in the tank build either wasn't what you thought it was or wasn't as safe as advertised? I mean, a cray doesn't just leave the water when there's that much free food available. Could something have slowly leached unnoticed? I did have one bad experience with Prime, posted about it, but it involved using Prime and an algae killer at the same time. Whatever the cause, I'm really sorry for you and the fish.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#195 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:27 PM

How are the surviving fish doing? What did they look like when you pulled them out? Gasping at the surface or anything? My first guess would have been no O2. Like Matt with his experience, I knew a guy that had a nice koi pond, thousands of dollars worth of koi in there, put an algae killer in plus something like prime and boom, fish were dead, the combo of the two chemicals just sucked the oxygen right out. Next guess is something toxic got into the tank, not necessarily from the water supply. 

Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#196 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:30 PM

He is away from home at the moment, so I am certain he really has no clue.

#197 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:58 AM

No O2 could be the issue. Like I said before, I forgot to turn on my air pump after the water change. Would low O2 cause their bellies to swell? Or, would that just be something that happened after death?

Sent from my Nexus 5

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#198 dac343

dac343
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:02 AM

I doubt low DO caused your fish loss.  The actual filter and powerheads were still in operation correct?  From what I saw last time at your place that should have been sufficient to off gas, and  agitated the surface enough to help oxygenate the water.  Swelling in the bodies can just be from gas buildup after death.  I'm of the opinion something got into the water, especially as noted before a crayfish leaving a potential buffet is quite alarming.

David Cravens

#199 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

I agree. Air stones are somewhat overrated. It is the surface agitation caused by the rising water pushed up by the bubbles. Filters and power heads accomplish the same thing. I suppose the chemical reaction could have caused low DO, but I don't think leaving the air pump off was the straw that broke the camels back.

I do think a crayfish would leave due to low DO though. Have to realize that in the wild, crayfish can leave the water if the O2 levels drop too low.

#200 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:37 AM

Here's an update on all of this. I was gone from Sat - Sat. 

There were about 8 surviving fish.  5 I was able to relocate, they were alive and well.  3 I couldn't get out of the aquarium, they were alive and well.  I tend to think if we're dealing with chemicals that was in the water, those remaining in the tank would have been dead as well, no?

I feed the 5 relocated fish SF Bloodworms, they are still alive.  I will continue to test the foods one at a time today.

Side note, I did bring back some fish from FL, I did a 50% waterchange when I got home, all of those fish are still alive.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users