• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:54 AM

Updates:

On Monday, I painted the cpvc and pvc stuff that would have been exposed to view. I also filled in the gaps and foamed sections 2 and 3 together. 

On Tuesday, I had my first setback: I cut sections apart 2 and 3 along the fissure. It was tougher than I thought to do for a couple reasons:
  1. I found some yellow goo - uncured Great Stuff. It doesn't cut well. So far, this is the first time that I've found this. I poked a bunch of holes into it and all around it deep into both sections. I checked on it today and it all seems fully cured. However, I poked a few more holes with a skewer and found some more. I think that the solution is to get some air (and maybe water) in there to speed up the curing of the thicker areas. If you remember, it's not all foam, but a good many stones are in there too. So, I'm not that worried about it. I'll keep poking holes until the skewers stop being sticky. I think that I'm going to go back, just in case, and do the same thing for section one.
  2. When cutting the fissure between the sections, I had some trouble using my knives. So, I pulled out the heavy duty equipment, a saw. Should do the trick right? It was in an area where I had a plastic rod. That is what I thought it was, and the saw should have taken care of it. But, after a couple minutes of sawing and no progress, I realized what it was.  Did you know that it is really tough for a hand saw to cut through a river stone?

Kevin Wilson

#82 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

As long as the outer layer(s) are cured and dry, any tacky bits in the middle shouldn't be an issue--in terms of any uncured Great Stuff leaching chems into the water.   I had similar results making some rockwork for a terrarium years ago but the only noticeable issue was the concrete cracked and chipped away as the foam slowly continued to expand over the years.  No harm being cautious as you are.  You still hacking away at that store bought rock? :D

Nick L.

#83 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

Thanks Nick!

You still hacking away at that store bought rock? :D

=;    ](*,)  8-[

Kevin Wilson

#84 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

We may never be more than internet acquaintances but I'll remember you as the "guy who bought rocks" as long as I live. Hey, we all have to make an impression in this world, right!?!

Did you mention what fish will inhabit your masterpiece upon completion?
Nick L.

#85 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:58 PM

Too funny!  I've been called much worse!  Reefkeepers buy live rock  :D/ ...just sayin', LOL.  Thing is, I live in the sticks, so there are plenty of rocks around the house that I could have gathered up.  But, at HD, they were there...calling me...  :biggrin:

I'd like my tank to best represent the peaceful species of fish that don't eat darters that live in the Upper Potomac watershed.  The species that I want to be sure to keep are all species of darters, shiners and minnows that I can legally catch and keep.  I would be thrilled to keep, if I'm lucky enough to catch them, rainbow and fantail darters, and either spotfin or satinfin shiners, rosyside dace, rosyface shiners, and silverjaw minnows.  I live within 15 minutes of the Mouth of the Monocacy.

I think that the only fish that I really want to avoid are cutlips minnows.  I don't want a tank full of no-eyed fish!

I'd be game for a future species 10g madtom/sculpin tank too.

Kevin Wilson

#86 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

I think you'll easily come across most of those species....Greenside darters as well.  That'll be a very nice tank.  I'll leave the ridicule alone (for now) and let you get back to work.  Looking forward to it.

Nick L.

#87 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:54 AM

...but the only noticeable issue was the concrete cracked and chipped away as the foam slowly continued to expand over the years.

That explains why sections 1 and 2 didn't fit together the day after I cut that fissure apart after foaming them.  The same thing happened to sections 2 and 3 last night, they didn't fit.  So, I'll have more carving to do on all three by the time that I'm ready to install them into the tank.

The good news is that I poked a ton of holes with skewers in all of the sections where the most foam would be and the skewers weren't sticky after any of them.  So, I think that the foam is uniformly cured, although I realize it could still expand some.  

I'll leave the ridicule alone (for now) and let you get back to work.

It's perfectly fine Nick.  I can take it... y'all just need to be ready when it's my turn to dish it out  :biggrin:

I didn't get much done last night, but I have a long weekend to work on it.  It's time to build some roots!

Kevin Wilson

#88 truecrimson

truecrimson
  • NANFA Member
  • Leb-A-non, PA

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:11 AM

I am really loking forward to the roots.

If you had not cut and poked holes exposing the foam would it cure eventually anyway?

#89 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:03 AM

I am really loking forward to the roots.

If you had not cut and poked holes exposing the foam would it cure eventually anyway?

I've read conflicting info on the web about that.  If it was in the process of curing, then I guess it probably would have cured on its own.  I've also read that without air or water, that it doesn't cure at all and that it's toxic if it ever gets released.  The Dow site also mentions that this could be a problem, but is pretty ambiguous.  I poked a heck of a lot of holes, so I'm pretty sure in my case that it has all cured.  I couldn't find any recommendations on what to do if you found uncured foam except to spray with water, poke holes, or scoop it out or do it over.  I figured poking holes was easy, and if that didn't work, then I'd cut it out and start over.  Luckily, the poking holes seemed to work.

Some people say that it will keep expanding for a long period of time, some say about a week and then it's done, others say months.  Who really knows?  In my case, after 2 days, I still had yellow goo.  Now that I've punched a bunch of holes, no problem.

How to prevent this from happening in your build?  You have about 2 hours to work until the can is unusable. In your case, you could spray the foam about an inch thick along the perimeter of the cavity from the bottom of the tank to the top, and then leave the middle of the cavity open a little bit so it has air and also room to expand.  If you did it that way, it should all cure OK and the expansion will fill in the final gap.  Just plan a bit before you start spraying.  Oh, and some people recommend using a spray bottle to spray a light film of water on the surfaces that you plan to foam and that will speed up and help the curing process.

Also, it will expand about 1 1/2 to 2x of what you spray out if you use the red can with the yellow lid, so allow for some room for expansion..  

Wear gloves, eye protection, and a long sleeve shirt that you don't mind messing up.  You don't want to get the foam on your skin...it can be very messy.  If you are careful and since you'd be foaming inside your tank, you should be OK and probably won't have an issue.

I sprayed pretty much all at once and also probably used more than I needed, not really thinking that my background was too thick.  As it expanded, I had foam oozing out of every crack and crevice.  I didn't realize that I had a potential problem until I cut the sections apart and found the not-so-Great-Stuff yellow goo.

Kevin Wilson

#90 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

That info alone is well worth the price of admission to this thread. 

Doug Dame
Yankeetown FL USA
on the Withlacoochee River
two miles from the Gulf of Mexico

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users