Blue colored Bluegills?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hmmm. Well I'm not going to ship live fish all over the country, so I guess if I'm going to be doing an experiment with one of the blue fish then. I'm going to have to get another setup. That may take some time, as the finances here at home are limited right now. I also have to catch another blue fish, and when that may happen, no one knows.

Jeremy

I'll pay the costs of shipping, just 'cause I've gotten curious about the whole thing. Not sure why your concerned about shipping fish, it is pretty straight forward... kind of scary first time maybe, but not too bad really... so if you can catch a couple, I'm sure we can work it out... just let me know.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#82 Guest_jkurtz7_*

Guest_jkurtz7_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

Brian has offered to help me out with this project, we will let everyone know whats going on after he takes a look at a specimen.

Jeremy

#83 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:41 AM

Brian has offered to help me out with this project, we will let everyone know whats going on after he takes a look at a specimen.

Jeremy

Second and third opinions needed. Especially if first investigator already 100% certain of identity.

#84 Guest_jkurtz7_*

Guest_jkurtz7_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

Second and third opinions needed. Especially if first investigator already 100% certain of identity.

When I get another fish, I am going to kill it and put it in the freezer. We will perform an autopsy and take photos of its gill rakers and I can even take photos of it's vital organs if you would like. I'll even do a DNA test since I have a DNA lab in my garage. :D
J.

#85 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:10 PM

... become specialized into different feeding guilds like bluegill and white crappie with a simultaneous change in morphology?...

I caught a small bluegill with a larger mouth than the others in the area, and I'm going to try to grow him out to see what he looks like as he grows. He also has more pigment on his fins than the others around, and is a lot more aggressive than the other bluegill. I also catch warmouth with a "netted" pattern on their sides instead of the usual vertical bars. I have two examples currently in my tanks with horizontal striping. It's difficult to see on the larger one, since his overall color has darkened now that he's getting into breeding condition. Here's a link. His pictures are the 1st and 2nd pictures in the 2nd post. He was about 2", and he had a striped side and a "netted" side.

http://forum.nanfa.o...hl=odd warmouth

I'll try to get some pics up of the others with "netted" and striped patterns.

Besides pattern, I've found several colors, with some being green, lavender, black, and yellow.

This alone shows how variable a species can be, even within a population, so I would say those are just odd bluegill.

#86 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

Saw this and immediately thought of this thread :grin:

Attached Files

#87 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

That looks like a blue bluegill. Are the normal colored animals like coppernose bluegill or northern?

#88 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

Looks like my blue bluegill I have in 55gal except mine have more bars.

#89 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:23 AM

Did you catch it yourself, or are you reposting a photo from elsewhere? Where was it caught? Very cool fish...

#90 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:00 PM

A buddy of mine caught it in Minnesota ;)

#91 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

Cool, what lake this bluegill taken? My blue bluegill was taken from Sebie Lake.

#92 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

Cool, what lake this bluegill taken? My blue bluegill was taken from Sebie Lake.

Not sure of the exact lake but somewhere around Alexandria.

#93 Guest_redfinpickerel_*

Guest_redfinpickerel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:24 AM

I caught a bluegill that looks kind of like that out of my pond last spring.But it was a little lighter shade of blue. I only catch them around the time the bluegills are spawning.I have no idea why

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users