New Nanfa Members!

195 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_tommyvercetti_*

Guest_tommyvercetti_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

Hi,

My name is Stefan. I am a lifelong tropical fish keeper; but am just getting started with natives.

I am in the process of building a fish room in my garage. I am setting up the fishroom with a linear air pump, sponge filters, and a constant drip water change system. Each tank is separate (not on central filtration system.) I am going to use the wastewater to irrigate the garden.

I will continue to do some tropical fish; but I really like natives and want to learn as much as possible about them!

Thank you for this great organization!!!

s

#82 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

Welcome to NANFA and the Forum, we're glad that you joined and participate here.

#83 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

Hi,

My name is Stefan. I am a lifelong tropical fish keeper; but am just getting started with natives.

I am in the process of building a fish room in my garage. I am setting up the fishroom with a linear air pump, sponge filters, and a constant drip water change system. Each tank is separate (not on central filtration system.) I am going to use the wastewater to irrigate the garden.

I will continue to do some tropical fish; but I really like natives and want to learn as much as possible about them!

s

Welcome Stefan, this is the place if you are looking to learn... hope you find everything you need... and if you don't speak up, there is a lot of information here among the members. Take the opportunity to cruise over to the NANFA homepage as well... maybe even join NANFA!

On other thing, if you don't mind could you update your location... USA is a little general... we like to know river drainage... or which half of which state you are in at the least... makes a lot of questions make more sense when you know if someone is in Florida or Wisconsin!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#84 Guest_tommyvercetti_*

Guest_tommyvercetti_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

Welcome Stefan, this is the place if you are looking to learn... hope you find everything you need... and if you don't speak up, there is a lot of information here among the members. Take the opportunity to cruise over to the NANFA homepage as well... maybe even join NANFA!

On other thing, if you don't mind could you update your location... USA is a little general... we like to know river drainage... or which half of which state you are in at the least... makes a lot of questions make more sense when you know if someone is in Florida or Wisconsin!

I'm am in the Santa Ynez river basin, at the very northern edge of southern California (or the southern edge of central California depending on who's asking :) .) I like this forum so much, I did join NANFA!

Thanks for everything!
Stefan

#85 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

I did join NANFA!

Welcome to NANFA! Thanks for your support!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#86 Guest_AOmonsta_*

Guest_AOmonsta_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

I joined NANFA in Oct or Nov, when should I expect my first issue of American Currents?

#87 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

We should have the next one out towards the end of February.

#88 Guest_aquachromis_*

Guest_aquachromis_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hi, I'm a new member. I just purchased my membership this past Monday through the online option. I've kept tropical fish of various types off and on for several years. I had a two year break from fish keeping after buying a new house and doing some renovations but I'm back to my hobby now. I have a 55 gallon I've been working on setting up since last month that will be a planted tropical tank, but I'd really like to set up some others as native tanks. I took advantage of a recent $1/gallon sale and purchased 2 20g longs and a 40 gallon breeder. I think at least one of the 20s and the 40 will end up native. Right now I'm just beginning to learn about native fish so I have no idea what I'll stock the tanks with but I look forward to interacting with forum members and receiving American Currents.

Adam

#89 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

Hello and welcome, Adam!

#90 Guest_Angfaman_*

Guest_Angfaman_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:59 PM

Hi all, Keith from Melbourne, Australia here. As you'l see from my forum name i'm a member of ANGFA (Australian & New Guinea Fishes Association)

A short potted history, ..kept fish since I was 7, (now 52!) Lived in the UK until 2002, & kept Killifish, Australian natives (rainbows etc) and UK natives (minnows, sticklebacks, gudgeon etc.) AND some NA fish, Florida flags, Long eared sunfish, Blue spotted sunfish, redbelly dace and some unidentified darters I got from a a UK friend.

On moving to Australia- horror- a really limited number of fish to keep here, the authorities have a 'noxious list' typically anything that they don't want around such as giant catfishes, bowfins, snakeheads etc but it also includes a lot of other apparantly innocuous species, essentially anything that wasn't already in Australia when the list was promolgated which makes getting newly discovered fish a bit of a headache.

I do have some nice Australian native fishes, though as ever, some of the nicest onces are illegal to keep as the authorities rather they'd die out in a pollution incident or drought than allow committed hobbyists to keep & breed them!, not even with a licence, go figure.

Anyway, as far as I can tell no North American fishes are available except i've seen Redbellies (which are actually on the Noxious list so it is not foolproof!, as are all shiners, centrarchidae and all NA catfishes (so no more Blue spotted or Pygmy Sunfish for me, imagine the hell they'd create if they escaped). I'm pleased however that there appears to be some NA genus' NOT on the noxious list which I may be able to acquire.

What prompts me to join NANFA now?, well last night I was watching a programme on the Giant Redwoods of California and there was a shot of the presenters hiking a long a clear mountain stream in North California (near the Oregon border)and a underwater view showed some pretty little fish darting in & out of the shot. what are they, I've hunted on the web for hours & can't identify them.

I took a picture off the TV & I'll post it here (sorry it's not very clear), hopefully some one can let me know.

Be back in touch soon. Keith

Attached Images

• 23072011.jpg

Edited by Angfaman, 23 July 2011 - 12:01 AM.

#91 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

Hi all, Keith from Melbourne, Australia here. As you'l see from my forum name i'm a member of ANGFA (Australian & New Guinea Fishes Association)

Welcome Keith... I saw some of that television show as well... but didnt notice the fish... and I am not going to hazard a guess from the photo... maybe if it is on again, I can get a better look, or maybe someone else here saw it.

#92 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

I probably shouldn't speculate, but if I had to guess I would say its some kind of young salmonid. I did a little work snorkeling in that area when I lived out there. These were pretty common on every float. I don't recall any minnows with bars that lived in that area. It does not look like a sucker or sculpin, and not much else is found in those habitats.

Now you have me thinking. I will check my texts and post again when I have a better idea.

#93 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

I probably shouldn't speculate, but if I had to guess I would say its some kind of young salmonid.

I agree. I'm pretty sure I see an adipose fin on that fish.

#94 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi there, I just joined a couple days ago. I found y'all through searches that brought me to these forums. I'm both excited and humbled by the amount of knowledge here, and I want to thank everyone for so politely sharing. I've only been keeping natives for almost a year. Years ago I had some tropical fish and enjoyed watching them, but I can say that for me it doesn't compare to the enjoyment of watching my natives. I live just a few minutes from a good smallmouth and natural muskie stream and enjoy fishing for both, so it's a real joy to be able to interact with my own smallie right in my home. I've also got 2 rock bass, and a central longear sunfish. I've been trying to get pictures of my smallie, but he doesn't seem to be very photogenic. Probably because smallmouths hate light. He does have lots of personality though. He takes crickets from my fingers and comes to greet me whenever I walk in the room. My wife says "He may only love you for food, but that fish loves you". Well, Ive rambled enough. Thanks for having me. I may not have much to add, but I'm sure enjoying browsing though some old conversations and learning more. Take care;

Steve.

P.S. Oh yes, by the way. I've noticed that I'm still listed as a guest. It doesn't really matter that much, but I thought I'd mention it. Thanks.

side note: As I'm sitting here proof reading this, about 5 feet away from my rock bass tank, I just got splashed in the back and on the keyboard by my rock bass coming to the top to grab a cricket that I left for him. Fish are just soooo coooool!

#95 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

Welcome to the Forum, Steve. You're listed as a "Guest" because you're not a member of NANFA. NANFA members get a few privileges on the Forum, although everyone is welcome to join the Forum as a "Guest" and post and see most of the threads.

#96 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

Welcome to the Forum, Steve. You're listed as a "Guest" because you're not a member of NANFA. NANFA members get a few privileges on the Forum, although everyone is welcome to join the Forum as a "Guest" and post and see most of the threads.

I paid for my membership online the day before I joined the forum and received welcome emails for both. It's really not a big deal. I received my receipt, so I know the money went to NANFA. That's the most important thing. I think I may have joined the forum before my membership was processed. That could probably cause some confusion. I do recall now that I received my welcome email for joining the forum before I received the email for joining NANFA. I guess I was just too impatient to wait. Thanks for the welcome.

Steve.

Edited by frogwhacker, 23 July 2011 - 07:58 PM.

#97 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:20 PM

OK, we have to catch up on the new membership which is still a manual process. I think Drew is doing that?

#98 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:20 PM

I paid for my membership online the day before I joined the forum and received welcome emails for both. It's really not a big deal. I received my receipt, so I know the money went to NANFA. That's the most important thing. I think I may have joined the forum before my membership was processed. That could probably cause some confusion. I do recall now that I received my welcome email for joining the forum before I received the email for joining NANFA. I guess I was just too impatient to wait. Thanks for the welcome.

Steve.

Cool! Now I show up as a member. Thanks to whoever did that.

#99 Guest_Angfaman_*

Guest_Angfaman_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

MichiJim & SmilingFrog, thanks for the pointer, I think you are right, here is a picture of a young Coho Salmon, a pretty good match I think.

Attached Files

#100 Guest_pylodictis_*

Guest_pylodictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:43 PM

Hi,

s

Stefan, woher kommst du? Deutschland?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users